Project Forgiveness 2009

Welcome to Project Forgiveness. Here, we collect and post videos, emails, postcards and other expressions of regret from those who seek to forgive and from those who wish to express regret.

In the days leading up to the Jewish New Year, we offer this forum as a first step. It is our hope that sharing thoughts of forgiveness online will translate into actual forgiveness between individuals in the days to come.

How to participate? It's simple. Send us your "sorry" (upload a video to youtube and send us the link) or email us at: forgiveness or mail to:

Project Forgiveness
WPR
P.O. Box 5134
Bergenfield, NJ 07621

We accept postcards, emails, powerpoint, art, music, video and more!

September 1, 2006

Dear David, [editors note: this is addressed to Dr. David Lieberman http://projectforgiveness.blogspot.com/2006/08/when-i-heard-about-national-jewish.html]

I just have to thank you. This is going to sound like a phoney endorsement...but I just have to say thank you.

In November last year I emailed you after I had flown 1000 miles and delivered a hand-written letter (as per chapter 18 of your "Make Peace With Anyone" book), and then left without seeing the person. A few weeks after delivering it, I handn't had a reply and asked your advice. You suggested I "let time take over".

Well I did that, and eventually I came to an inner peace over things and felt happy that I had done what I could to put things right. Well....today came a breakthrough. I had to go to the city of the woman in question for three days at a conference. On the last afternoon, I wrote another letter in much the same format and saying that I was leaving it just before flying out. I delivered it to the reception of her work....and, by chance one hour later as I was waiting for my taxi with my suitcase, she bumped into me.

She immediately thanked me for my letter and we chatted warmly for some minutes before interupted by my colleague. As she left, she said "I'll respond to your letter". And I caught the plane home.

Now, that might not sound like much...but I am even now too ashamed to tell you how appallingly I behaved toward her 16 months ago. That she is speaking to me at all is a miracle. That she was warm and friendly is beyond incredible. I don't know if we will become friends again...but I know that mutual respect has been re-established....and that is so, so good.
Thank you. Thank you will all of my heart.

Kindest regards,

I.

No comments: